Did run 'SQL Power Doc' for the first time and did get this error:

Error querying for A records from DNS Server

What could be the problem ?

Regards,

Bert Berntsen.
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Hi Bert,
Is the machine that you ran SQL Power Doc on part of an Active Directory domain?

--Kendal
Sep 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Hi Kendal,

Did solve the problem by giving the servername from the DNS server.

Thanks.

Bert.

Op 24-9-2013 16:11, kendalvandyke schreef:

Hi Bert,
Is the machine that you ran SQL Power Doc on part of an Active Directory domain?

--Kendal

Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
Versie: 2013.0.3408 / Virusdatabase: 3222/6694 - datum van uitgifte: 09/24/13

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Hi Bert,
Glad that you got it resolved, but I'm a bit curious why not specifying a DNS servername (which implies 'automatic' is used as a parameter value) didn't work for you.

In the code I grab the DNS server information from all IP enabled adapters that are part of an AD domain. Would you mind running the following code in a PowerShell ISE window and tell me if the DNS server that you manually specified shows up in the list?
Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration `
    -Property DnsServerSearchOrder, DNSDomain `
    -Filter "(IPEnabled = True) and (DNSDomain <> 'domain_not_set.invalid') and (DNSDomain <> '')"
-- Kendal
Oct 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Hi Kendal,

Did get this back.

PS C:\Users\apidbe3232> Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration ` -Property DnsServ
erSearchOrder, DNSDomain ` -Filter "(IPEnabled = True) and (DNSDomain <> 'domain_not_set.invalid') and (DNSDomain <> '')
"
Get-WmiObject : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'System.Object[]'.
At line:1 char:14
+ Get-WmiObject <<<< -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration ` -Property DnsServerSearchOrder,
DNSDomain ` -Filter "(IPEnabled = True) and (DNSDomain <> 'domain_not_set.invalid') and (DNSDomain <> '')"
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Another question.
If I run the discovery I get these messages:

SQLSERVER inventory
Dicovery sqlserver instances
Testing ping connectivity
589 addresses tested, 539 replies
Testing WMI connectivity
Scanning for SQL Services
device xxx of 460

And then the script hangs. I also cannot find any output.

Please advice what to do.

Thanks.

Bert Berntsen.

Op 24-9-2013 17:34, kendalvandyke schreef:

Hi Bert,
Glad that you got it resolved, but I'm a bit curious why not specifying a DNS servername (which implies 'automatic' is used as a parameter value) didn't work for you.

In the code I grab the DNS server information from all IP enabled adapters that are part of an AD domain. Would you mind running the following code in a PowerShell ISE window and tell me if the DNS server that you manually specified shows up in the list?
Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration `
    -Property DnsServerSearchOrder, DNSDomain `
    -Filter "(IPEnabled = True) and (DNSDomain <> 'domain_not_set.invalid') and (DNSDomain <> '')"
-- Kendal

Versie: 2013.0.3408 / Virusdatabase: 3222/6694 - datum van uitgifte: 09/24/13

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Hi Bert,
I wasn't expecting an error to be returned by that Get-WmiObject call...If you run the following do you still get an error? (Make sure it's all on a single line when you execute it)
Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ft -Property DnsServerSearchOrder, DNSDomain
Re: the discovery hanging, I recommend using verbose logging (-LoggingPreference Verbose). Details about what SQL Power Doc is doing will be written to the log file in the output directory; if it appears that something is hung you can review the log file and see if things are still happening. If that's still not writing anything to the log and things are really not responding let me know and I'll help troubleshoot further.

--Kendal
Oct 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Kendal, I think this is more what you expect. DnsServerSearchOrder DNSDomain -------------------- --------- {10.124.237.66, 10.124.226.228, 10.103.45.81} branches.pi.test.nl.eu.abnamro.com But now I had this problem. That was yesterday evening. Did try today again but is was hanging during the windows scan. The program did not write any output. Is it possible to do only the sqlserver scan and not the windows scan? Regards, Bert Berntsen. Op 7-10-2013 21:12, kendalvandyke schreef: > > From: kendalvandyke > > Hi Bert, > I wasn't expecting an error to be returned by that Get-WmiObject > call...If you run the following do you still get an error? (Make sure > it's all on a single line when you execute it) > |Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ft -Property DnsServerSearchOrder, DNSDomain| > Re: the discovery hanging, I recommend using verbose logging > (-LoggingPreference Verbose). Details about what SQL Power Doc is > doing will be written to the log file in the output directory; if it > appears that something is hung you can review the log file and see if > things are still happening. If that's still not writing anything to > the log and things are really not responding let me know and I'll help > troubleshoot further. > > --Kendal > > Read the full discussion online > . > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email > ([email removed] > ) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email > [email removed] > > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion > on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe > on > CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any > posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > > Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht. > Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com > Versie: 2014.0.4142 / Virusdatabase: 3604/6729 - datum van uitgifte: > 10/07/13 >
Kendal,

I think this is more what you expect.

DnsServerSearchOrder DNSDomain
-------------------- ---------

{10.124.237.66, 10.124.226.228, 10.103.45.81} branches.pi.test.nl.eu.abnamro.com

But now I had this problem.

That was yesterday evening. Did try today again but is was hanging during the windows scan.

The program did not write any output.

Is it possible to do only the sqlserver scan and not the windows scan?

Regards,

Bert Berntsen.

Op 7-10-2013 21:12, kendalvandyke schreef:

Hi Bert,
I wasn't expecting an error to be returned by that Get-WmiObject call...If you run the following do you still get an error? (Make sure it's all on a single line when you execute it)
Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\CIMV2 -Class Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration | ft -Property DnsServerSearchOrder, DNSDomain
Re: the discovery hanging, I recommend using verbose logging (-LoggingPreference Verbose). Details about what SQL Power Doc is doing will be written to the log file in the output directory; if it appears that something is hung you can review the log file and see if things are still happening. If that's still not writing anything to the log and things are really not responding let me know and I'll help troubleshoot further.

--Kendal

Versie: 2014.0.4142 / Virusdatabase: 3604/6729 - datum van uitgifte: 10/07/13